Building a queen size platform bed frame is a great way to save money and get a high-quality and long-lasting piece of furniture for your bedroom. Not only is it economical, but it is also possible to customize the headboard, footboard, and sides for a completely unique look.
In this article, you will learn how to build a queen size platform bed frame from start to finish, as well as discover:
- all the essential components required
- the tools needed
- the materials to shop for
How to build a queen size platform bed frame
Building a queen size platform bed frame is an excellent way to add style, comfort and convenience to your bedroom. This type of bed frame has several benefits that make it an attractive option. Here are just a few of the reasons why you may want to consider building a queen size platform bed frame:
- Aesthetically Pleasing: One of the main benefits of building this type of bed frame is that it looks great in any bedroom. It can be constructed from many different materials such as wood, metal or even plastic, allowing for customization according to your tastes and needs.
- Space-Saving: Queen size platform beds are great for saving space in small bedrooms. The design allows for ample storage underneath the bed in shelves or drawers meaning you don’t have to sacrifice storage space for style!
- Extremely Durable: Because this type of frame is constructed from strong materials, it’s extremely durable and can easily handle regular use. This makes it especially good for those who need a reliable support system while they sleep. Additionally, maintenance is minimal so you won’t need to worry about replacing parts anytime soon.
- Budget Friendly: Building a queen size platform bed provides an affordable way to add style, comfort and convenience into your bedroom without breaking the bank. Materials like wood are very attainable and relatively inexpensive compared to other types of beds on the market, providing another reason why this specific build should be considered when shopping around for a new bedframe design.
Tools and Materials Needed
Are you looking to build a queen size platform bed frame? Before you get started, it is important to make sure you have the right tools and materials to complete the job. Depending on the design you choose, you may need different materials and tools.
In this section we will cover the basic tools and materials you will need to build a queen size platform bed frame:
List of Tools and Materials
Building a queen size platform bed frame is a manageable and worthwhile project even for beginner carpenters. This type of bed frame requires basic tools and materials that most DIYers will already have at home, such as saws and drills, but there are some additional materials needed. Here’s a list of what you’ll need to complete your platform bed frame:
- Saw (circular saw or miter saw)
- Drill & drill bits
- Hammer & Carpenter’s Square
- Level and Measuring Tape
- Screwdriver or Screw Gun
- Sandpaper & Paintbrush (optional)
- 2x4s or 2×6 boards (number depends on desired width of your bed)
- 3/4” Plywood Sheets to cover top (number depends on desired length of your bed)
- Screws (variety will depend on the material you’re attaching them to)
- Wood Putty to fill in any holes or gaps in the wood
Optional Finishings: Finishing nails, Stain, Varnish, Polyurethane, Paint
Whether you’re new to woodworking or an experienced carpenter, constructing a queen size platform bed frame is a rewarding project that will yield a beautiful custom piece of furniture. These instructions will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to build a queen size platform bed frame. Along with the instructions, you’ll also need the right materials, tools and safety equipment to complete the project successfully. Let’s get started.
Construct the Frame
Constructing a platform bed frame for a queen-size mattress is relatively easy and can be completed in just a few hours. The materials required are:
- Two 8-foot 2×6 boards
- Two 6-foot 1×4 modules
- One sheet of 3/4 inch plywood measuring 40×80 inches
- Fifteen 1 5/8 inch screws
- Various pieces of paneling depending on preference
To begin, cut the two 2×6 boards into four equal pieces of 58 inches in length each. Cut the bottom corners off of each end of these four pieces at variations of 45 degrees or whatever angle is desired for the design. You should then have four curved sections at 58 inches in length. The cuts do not have to be perfect as they will be covered with paneling later.
Next, attach the four sections to each other by connecting them into a square frame using two screws in each corner joint with an electric drill driver. Make sure that all corners are at 90-degree angles. To secure further stability, screw one of the 1×4’s into the inside corners using two screws per corner if desired or as needed for strength and support for the mattress weight.
To finish up the frame construction before constructing and assembly instructions are complete, place one more 1×4 board across the centre to support extra weight from future sleepers on either side.
Attach the Headboard and Footboard
Now that the side supports are in place, it’s time to attach the headboard and footboard. To do this, take two 4-by-4 pieces of lumber and cut them to the desired length (if your bed frame is a queen size, then you should use 61.5 inches of wood). You will also need four short pieces of 2-by-4 cut to 17.5 inches or a piece of plywood cut to exactly 17.5 by 41.
Then take your two 61.5 inch pieces of 4-by-4 lumber and use them as support beams. Secure them between the footboard and headboard with a right angle corner bracket per side, making sure that they are flush against the wooden edge on each side
Attach the support beams to both sides of each piece of wood then add one 8-inch long lag screw into each hole you drilled previously, making sure they are coming down midway in between both headboards and footboards so that tensions from either piece equalize when lying down before tightening every bolt with an electric screwdriver. After that’s done, center one 16” long lag bolt with washers into each hole you’ve created previously for maximum stability. Secure all bolts with an adjustable wrench before inserting your box springs onto the frame and checking for stability before adding your mattress on top!
Add the Slats and Mattress
With the platform bed frame completed, it’s time to add the slats and mattress.
Slats are horizontal planks of wood that provide support for the mattress and should be spaced not more than 4-6 inches apart – 3 inches is ideal. It is recommended to use untreated, unpainted lumber for these slats.
Lay out the slats side by side in the frame, allowing a 1/4 inch gap between each end for expansion and contraction due to summer heat and winter cold weather. Secure each board into place with screws at both ends into pre-drilled pilot holes; do not screw directly into end grain of wood as that can cause splitting and eventually breakage – using screws instead of nails also avoids damage done over time due to expanding woods being pulled apart.
Once added, lay down your queen size mattress directly on top of the slats. Have someone help you drive in long screws from underneath through pre drilled pilot holes along all four sides of the platform bed frame top edge into the side rails – these act as an insurance against mattress shifting during use. Attach corner brackets or dowels previously connected at both ends for further protection if needed.
Once you’ve built the frame, you’ll want to add some finishing touches. You can opt for a traditional look with a canopy or shutters, or you can try something modern like a box bed frame. You can also add a headboard to the frame. No matter which look you go for, you’ll want to make sure you choose high quality and durable materials that will last for years to come.
Add a Headboard
Adding a headboard to your queen size platform bed frame is an ideal way to finish it off. Headboards can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, steel, and fabric. You can purchase a headboard already made or make one yourself. If you decide to make your own, you’ll need to decide on the height and width of the headboard, the type of material(s) you’ll use, and its design characteristics.
If desired, you may want to include a storage component in the back of the headboard such as drawers or shelves for storing books or items that need to remain within easy reach. Simple screws can be used for attaching most basic types of headboards; however, if your design calls for more intricate detail or adornments then more specialized hardware may be needed.
Having chosen the correct size and materials for making your headboard, it’s time for some finishing touches such as painting or sealing it accordingly before attaching it securely to your queen size platform bed frame.
Add a Footboard
Completing the look of a queen size platform bed frame with a footboard is the perfect finishing touch. Not only does it add a decorative element, it also adds an extra level of comfort as well as support for your mattress. Plus, with most platform beds having simplistic designs, adding a footboard can create more visual interest and create dimensionality to the bed’s design.
There are multiple options when choosing the material for your footboard from hardwood to metal or even upholstered fabric. It is important to consider durability, style preferences and how well it will coordinate with the rest of your bedroom furniture and decor.
Common styles for footboards include:
- Straight base slats with mid-rail design
- An arched silhouette – both toe tapping options that will make a statement in any bedroom!
An added bonus? Footboards also help keep sheets and blankets in place overnight—helping you get a better night’s sleep!
Add a Mattress
The last step in building your queen size platform bed frame is to add a mattress. Whether you choose a spring- or foam-type mattress, it should fit well on top of the frame you have constructed. Be sure to measure both the length and width of your mattress before deciding which size would best fit your bed frame.
Since it is a queen size bed frame, most modern mattresses will be compatible with its measurements: 60 inches wide by 80 inches long. If you have chosen an antique or antique style mattress, be sure to double check the dimensions before completing your purchase. A standard queen mattress should have no problem fitting and providing a comfortable sleeping surface for the user of this bed frame.
Building a queen size platform bed frame is a great way to get a high quality, stylish piece of furniture in your home. Not only does it look attractive and provide a comfortable sleeping surface, but it is also relatively easy to build. The beauty of it is that you can customize the frame to match your existing furniture and decor.
With this guide, you now have all the necessary information to get started in building your own queen size platform bed frame:
Benefits of Building a Queen Size Platform Bed Frame
Building your own queen size platform bed frame can not only be a rewarding accomplishment, but also provide you with several benefits. Here are some of the benefits of building your own bed frame:
- Cost savings: Building a custom platform bed frame can be significantly cheaper than purchasing a pre-built one – you don’t have to pay for labor costs or the cost of materials. Also, you won’t have to buy annoying add-ons like box springs!
- Personalization: When you choose to build your own platform frame, you get the freedom to customize it however you’d like; whether that’s in terms of dimensions, colors and finishes or even storage options like built-in drawers and shelves – the choice is yours.
- Space efficiency: Building your own platform frame allows you to create a frame that fits perfectly into whatever space you have (especially useful if your bedroom lacks closets and storage areas). This way, all of the floor space is free for more furniture or decor items.
- Durability: Since all aspects of the bed are crafted according to your needs and preferences, it features stronger construction materials compared with off-the-shelf frames that tend to use cheaper materials in an effort to maintain affordability. This means that when built correctly, your custom platform bed should last many years without breaking down as easily as pre-made frames tend to do over time.
What Small Changes Can You Make to Your Home to Make it Look Better for the Summer?
Tips to Decorate Your Living Room So That It Always Remains Trendy
Unlock the Advantages of Push Latch Access Doors